Wednesday, October 26, 2011

BIG STUFF

Tonight's post is a bit of a brain and heart dump about big stuff that I'm facing in the coming months.

You all know (if you're regular readers) that I'm doing a management training course this year. There are 6 modules each of 2 days duration each followed by an assignment for assessment, one exam and then a work based project. However at the end of it I get a certificate that says I did the course (and passed it). It is NOT a formal qualification.

I now have the choice to continue my studies or take what I've got and run. I can jump into the full MBA (Master of Business Administration) course or chip away at it via a Grad Certificate in Business Admin and Grad Diploma in same. The next step would be the MBA.

Here's what's attractive:

1. I need to do 2 subjects of 12 weeks each (and pass them of course) to achieve the Grad Cert and receive a "parchment".
2. By August 2012 I can have this finished.
3. I have enjoyed the learning process - the intellectual stimulation has been great and I have already benefitted from the year's study (feeling more confident about my ability to do my job and also to work at a higher level.)

Here are the not so attractive bits:

1. Contact time of 36 hours / module and personal time commitment of between double and triple that (6-9 hours / week).
2. The cost (tertiary study is not cheap and I'm not sure if / how much my employer would cover).
3. Lifestyle change to accommodate the time commitment (less "me-time", less family time, less time to devote to work which I need to keep on top of things.)

But facts aside the fundamental issues I'm grappling with which are at the heart of all this are:

1. I dont have a tertiary qualification of any sort and have made it to where I am through hard work, experience and being in the right place at the right time and then performing well and delivering. I would LOVE to have a tertiary qualification.

2. If I invest in this study ($$$ and time) then I will expect a return on my investment (in the form of a higher position). So, is that what I REALLY want? Do I want an executive level position and all that goes with it? Obviously the extra money would be great but with it comes extra pressure and stress (there's no such thing as a free lunch!!).

That is my dilemma to ponder and decide by early December as applications for the course(s) are due then. Oh and I'll have it on the agenda for discussion at beer o'clock this Friday night.

:-)

M

7 comments:

  1. Magda, that's a lot to think about, this might be a good time to try listening to what your heart wants rather then your head... How do these things make you feel when you think about it all...

    Trust yourself to make the right decision at this time...

    Kristy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a hard one, Magda.
    Your boy is growing up, so maybe you should have a family conversation with him and Peter to see how they would feel about supporting you (because you WILL need lots of support)...if you do go ahead, then you can make up your mind whether you want to take on a more executive role...family circumstances change dramatically year to year, so you may have different options and feelings once the study is completed.
    Whatever you decide, it has to be right for YOU...I wish you luck, my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for ya. Desperately want to finish my degree as I was a high school drop out and really neeeed it for ME. But even doing 1 unit a semester I will have between 4 and 6 contact hours on top of work. It is a massive adjustment to your lifestyle. Not just the hours at uni and study time at home...you will CONSTANTLY be thinking that you should be studying. That's the thing that affects your quality of life the most. I found I just wasn't engaging with the kids at all, even when not actively studying.

    Ok..so don't mean to put you off , as studying, and the sense of accomplishment is SO rewarding (and I am going back next year) but it's difficult xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck making this difficult decision Magda - not an easy one by the sounds! I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you think you can manage I would do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Kristy's comment :)

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for taking the time to comment and give some really good advice. I have listened to my head and heart and made my decision with Peter's input as well. I'm happy with it and have posted it tonight.

    :-)

    M

    ReplyDelete