Thursday, September 16, 2010

THE HEALING PROCESS

It really has been such a busy time that I've struggled to write anything meaningful on Blogger so I decided to lie low instead. However today I have news that I MUST share.

After two weeks of physio treatment I was feeling a bit down, having convinced myself that it wasnt working. I was still getting a lot of aches and Negative Nelly was making a lot of noise, none of it good of course. After a bit of an indulgent weekend with too much wine and less than stellar dietary choices I was aching like mad on Monday morning. I ate well on Monday and voila, less aches on Tuesday. Had a few sweet foods on Tuesday and voila, more aches on Wednesday. Hello there is a distinct pattern here.

I had another physio appointment today and here are the key things I got out of it:

I asked the lovely Miss K (physio) whether she believed that certian foods could cause an increase in muscular pain and possibly inflamation. Her answer was a definite "YES" and she explained how they (at her practice) often worked in conjunction with naturopaths to help heal their patients. She immediately went on to list the 3 main culprits being: white sugar, coffee and alcohol.

A great discussion followed with my key point being that I could easily tell when I had overindulged in said culprit(s) and that a day of good eating would rectify the situation quite quickly for me. I made the point that I had lived in my body for long enough now to know how it worked, what it liked and what it didnt like. With age comes wisdom, which is just as well because I could no longer get away with some of the destructive things I did in my twenties.

Miss K was emphatic about the detrimental effects of white sugar and was recommending very strongly that I ditch it from my diet 100%. We agreed that 1 coffee a day (a cup of weak cappuccino) and wine on the weekends (2 glass max at any time) was a good standard to follow. I have toyed with the sugar free diet before but didnt make it to 21 days. My short term goal - starting Monday - is to achieve 21 days free of white sugar. My motivation being to help my back heal and not aggravate the aching I get, as opposed to weight loss.

Miss K was happy with my healing progress. My aches have mainly centralised in my glutes which she says is a good thing. When the aches move to my lower back then we are really on the home stretch LOL. I'm now allowed to increase my walking to 45 minutes a day as most of my aches are happening at the start of the walk and not at the end.

There is a heap more stuff that I'm doing and not doing but I wont bore you with all of the details - unless you have a similar problem and are interested to know more about my treatment - then leave me a comment and I'm happy to reply.

So we have a few more celebrations for Peter's birthday and then I'll commit to going sugar free and implementing my other dietary changes - which are not drastically different to what I'm doing now. Its more a tweeking rather than an overhaul. I've also been toying with some more vegetarian meals and have cooked up chick peas and kidney beans to replace some of my meat meals. I'll be interested to see how my system responds to the changes.

I'm feeling a bit like a human experiment in nutritional influences but I admit I find this truly fascinating and of course anything I can do to get my problem sorted out quickly and thoroughly is a good thing.

Time to get out of this chair, do my rehab exercises and then hit the zzzzzzs.

Good night all

Magda

3 comments:

  1. Magda my psychologist told me the same, but in relation to depression and feeling low. Coffee, sugar and alcohol... Crazy that they could have that affect.

    I look forward to watching your 21 days sugar free. If you get honey, real maple syrup, agave syrup is another, then you should be fine when you want something sweet. Also fruit works wonders when I want something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...that all makes sense to me. I'm sure your body will reward you for your efforts. ;-0

    ReplyDelete