Tuesday, September 10, 2013

TO BLOG OR NOT TO BLOG

It was interesting to read on FB last night how many bloggers are struggling with their blogging. Whether it be from sheer contentment with life and therefore little to angst over, apathy/loss of interest, a chronic shortage of time or just taking a break to change direction, there seemed to be a mini avalanche of bloggers declaring a serious lack of drive and interest

I must admit, I have felt pretty much the same lately. After declaring that I'll be launching a new blog, came the realisation that on the weekend I need to devote some serious time to setting it up. Then the weekend rolls around and I'm mega busy on Saturday and frankly I'm filling my Sundays with stuff I just love to do. Blogging just hasn't been making the cut. During the week I manage 1 or 2 posts during my lunch breaks (if I'm lucky) but then days go by when its totally neglected. 

So therein lies the question: to blog or not to blog? On the one hand I've got an idea for a new blog and I toy with the possibility of growing it to have a large readership (BTW I have absolutely no idea how to go about that, but one can dream). Then I look at my motivation for my current blog and I ask myself "what were you thinking??"

Hence I'd love to hear your opinions on this. If you're here reading this, what brings you here, what do you enjoy reading? If you're a blogger as well, how do you get over these hurdles, or do you quit when the joy/drive/interest is no longer there? I sometimes think, if you're going to do something, do it well or not at all. But then that may be too harsh as I certainly have other areas of my life that are not products of this motto.

I'm all ears.

7 comments:

  1. Me personally, I just go with the flow of blogging. I blog when I want to, it's that simple really.

    I enjoy reading blogs of like minded people and/or people I connect with, like yourself. I like blogs with real & honest content because it's the most realistic and easy to relate to as a reader.

    That's it, for what it's worth.

    Lia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magda, I love your blog because you are so honest about yourself and the challenges you face. I love what you give of yourself. Personally, I love blogging and am still writing, albeit privately until I get my new blog up and running. I was just feeling a total disconnect from my domain name. No other issues at all xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guilty as charged (in the loss of bloggy juice) but I'm not that worried about it. Inspiration comes and goes ... the thing is, I'm not concerned about the number of hits I get so it doesn't matter if I'm sporadic. All or nothing is definitely not my motto in regards to my blog :)
    Oh and I come here because it's you and I like you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lia. I'm all about real and honest. Whilst its great to shout out about the good there is also no point denying the bad.

    Liz, I'm really looking forward to your new blog. Whilst I'm not a cycling enthusiast, I still find your journey interesting and inspirational. Oh and I'm constantly referring to your achievements when talking to my beginner cyclist hubby LOL.

    Katie, you started this LOL. In fact your FB status was the inspiration for this blog post. Its been an interesting exercise. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog because you enjoy it. If I don't feel like it, I don't. That's certainly been the case lately. I'm pretty sure the desire will return...eventually. If it doesn't? Well, I just wasted all that money on renewing my domain names and hosting then, didn't I? ;)



    ReplyDelete
  6. Magda, I respect and love your blog as you say it how it is, keep it real and I can relate to lots of what you do. You have a great way with writing too.

    I'm wanting to either start a new blog myself or change 'tact' myself.

    I always enjoy reading what you write. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's just it Kek. I DO enjoy it. I just want to do it well and that's where I'm struggling. BTW I love your blog and always look forward to your posts.

    Thanks Pip. I know I'll keep going. I just seem to be in a bit of a slump right now. (Wishing my new blog would just create itself exactly as I'm imagining it and then I can just write.)

    ReplyDelete