Wednesday, September 11, 2013

THE DIETING HUSBAND

Has anybody lived with a husband/boyfriend or partner that is/was dieting. I'm not talking hard core comp dieting (coz that's in a realm of its own) but just general, every day 'I need to lose 5 kilos' type of dieting. Let me elaborate on what is a big part of my life right now.
I mentioned in a recent post (no I'm not linking to it) that Peter has gained some weight lately and he's not happy about it. This is a good thing (not being happy about it as opposed to gaining the weight) as he's quite conscious about not getting too heavy and unfit which we are both very prone to. So he's on a mission to drop said weight in time for summer. We're talking 3-5 kilos and for him its all about the number on the Metal Monster. He's very old school and believes that its all about cardio. He hates weight lifting and only makes pathetic attempts at it every so often. For him its as simple as the number on the MM being ?? and he's happy.
I'm loving that he's taken control of this endeavour but this has manifested into a small obsession with the calorie tracking app (I think he uses My Fitness Pal) and a constant barrage of questions such as " how much do you think XXX weighed?", "what am I having for lunch/dinner?" or "how many calories do you think were in ??? (something he cant find on his app)?". This is the easy bit.
Then we move into "XXX is not good calorie value". "If I have YYYY I get better value for my calories" and I end up trying to cater for the YYY. For example I make some really yummy applesauce and fruit muffins from Tosca Reno's Clean Eating cookbook. I work out that the calories are ??? and I think that's pretty good. But no, apparently they're not good calorie value. Apparently fruit scones are better calorie value (personally I think his app gets a few things wrong but who am I to argue with the expert). I offer to bake a batch of date scones which is greatly appreciated (and lets face it they are dead quick and easy to make). I go the extra mile and use Natvia instead of sugar and proudly calculate the new calorie value ONLY ITS MORE THAN THE APP SAYS AND THEY ARE NO LONGER GOOD CALORIE VALUE. GRRRRRR.
FUCK IT!!! Eat the f*cken scones (or eat a carrot which is exemplary calorie value!).
*sigh* Every day I pray that the 3 to 5 kilos will fall off and life can go back to normal. Eat what you enjoy and not too much. Make mostly healthy choices without obsessing over calories and move at least 5 days of every week. But  no we need it far more complicated than that.


PS This is written with a little tongue in cheek and literary license (just in case you thought I'd turned into a heartless bitch of a wife LOL)
    

4 comments:

  1. LOL. Yeah, Rob has been fasting during the day and eating at night for just over three years now (and he exercises twice a day during the week). BUT I'm mostly eating vegetarian now, so I regularly get questions about the protein value of the meals I make for both of us, so he can make sure he's getting enough. I'm just glad he's happy to eat vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!

    Men and their stubborn ways hey! I was a bit like your hubby but probably worse when in early 20's. The basic aim of my workouts was getting to/or staying at a scale number! I did things like a 40 min run, or 2 hour mountain walk....did go hard but never timed performance....instead, the scale. And oh dear, diet coke, (before coke zero was invented) was a filler/energy/caffeine kick between my 'square meals'.
    Every year or so, Dad decides he is 'annoyed with his gut' and wants to lose it. I suggest exercise, ie brisk walking and basic exercises with dumbbells at home, pushups etc....with the idea of considering to join a gym and get started with resistance training along with keeping a loose eye on diet. No....no interest! One of his mates daughter, (who he admires)....started a herbal medicine business. The last 2 years running he saw her, she prescribed him lots of various pills/supplements and told him to stick to lean protein and green vegies, (but no root vegies so he could kiss his garden potatoes and carrots goodbye!) plus brisk walking both times. But on both occasions his interest dwindled by the end of the second day haha! A matter of impatience and the fact he can't be told!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Charlotte, Rob's routine is pretty hard core. Lucky that you can prepare meals that suit you both. I pretty much do too but will occasionally make a lasagne or steak and mushroom pie just for Peter :-)No vegetarians in our household although I have experimented with it before.

    LOL Pip. I think dads are even worse than husbands as it must be a generational thing. When my dad is trying to lose weight he'll cut out the margarine on his morning slice of wholemeal toast but still have a spread of home made (sugar laden) apricot jam an inch think. LOL It cracks me up :-) :-)



    ReplyDelete