Thursday, September 12, 2013

THE DIETING HUSBAND CHAPTER 2 - THE SUPPORTIVE WIFE

Let me preface this post by stating that I no longer diet. Yes I watch what I eat and consciously make healthy choices most of the time but I don't agonise over calories, macros, the old "I want to have XXX but I shouldn't" mentality and lots of other dieting behaviours. The more relaxed and 'go with the flow' I am, the better things go for me. There are always swings and round- abouts, ups and downs but they seem to even out more easily these days.

So its with some trepidation that I have stepped up to support Peter in his weight loss efforts. CalorieKing has been back in my life this week, although I feel that our relationship must end soon. We are not a good match as it seems to bring out obsessive behaviours in me and is a big time guzzler to boot. I think it'll be gone this weekend. 

I'm now more conscious than ever of the meals I prepare and their serving sizes. No longer do I eagerly request 2 large salmon fillets at the fish shop. They have been replaced by 2 small - medium ones :-( Last night I was preparing chocolate chip cookie dough for tonight's post- dinner sweets (mum and dad have dinner at our place on Thursdays and we always have a small sweet treat available.) Before I baked them I asked Peter if he wanted me to delay baking them until tonight to reduce the temptation of having them in the house. (A quick check of his calorie tracking app showed that he had enough spare calories *insert sarcastic snigger here* to have said biscuit so I happily baked.) I don't even want to mention the sadness I feel at having introduced 2 more alcohol free nights each week :-( :-( (That one warrants 2 sad faces, not just 1.)

In fact I sit here on Thursday after a week of super-healthy eating and I can hear my stomach calling out "Enough!! Send some junk down to save me" as it gurgles and churns from the barrage of vegetables its been subjected to. Tomorrow's lunch might just be a chicken / cheese and avocado foccacia. Yuuuum!!  

M

   

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, lol! I hope a favourable outcome happens for both, you and Peter!

    I am relatively 'in the zone' now, keen to improve my performances all round and dare say lean up, get faster, create muscle etc. I am honestly not craving any sugary confectionary or so called deep fried foods, etc etc. I am very content with what I consider my healthy choices.

    BUT in order to appear, 'go with the flow', 'keep the peace', 'relaxed', less neurotic, (to the more average types) I feel I have to keep a more 80-20 balance. For example today an impromptu situation occured where if I didn't eat an average sized bit of cake, it would have caused a lecture, some type of deal and lengthly conversation by others so I just had it. Similar happens 3ish times a week now. Sometimes especially if wine is consumed at the same time, the temptation to derail that to a massive binge when next alone is there, (as I'd already eaten something unplanned). But I have actually been rather good on the non binge front of late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip, 80/20 is fantastic and when you're having a '20' you should enjoy it without any guilt. Life is too short and its way too stressful trying to be 100% on plan/perfect/committed. Good work on the non-binge front too.

    xx m

    ReplyDelete