Saturday, June 2, 2012

MUM'S BIRTHDAY


It was my mum's birthday on Thursday and one of the things I like to do at this time of year is take her to lunch and a movie. So today we took ourselves off to see 'What to Expect When You're Expecting'. The movie was great. I laughed. I cried tears of joy. I cried tears of emotion - the adoption scene was VERY close to home and whenever I reflect back to my own experience, I cant hold back the tears and emotion. Tears for my happiness but tears  of sadness for the foster mother who hands over the baby that she has cared for for the last 5 or so months.

But I digress. We had a nice lunch out although my food wasnt the best - chicken risotto with the tiniest amount of chicken in it and a bit too moist (wet) for my liking. The wine was good :-) It was a nice outing and mum has said that as long as she has her health, she'd like to do this every year. I couldnt agree more. I have one friend who lost her mum  some years ago and their family has never been the same. Others dont get on with their mums so a day like today would be torture for them. I'm so lucky that mum and I are really good friends. Incidentally the pic above was from some years ago. The toddler is now 10 years old LOL.

Today was also a nice change from this last week which can only be summed up as mehh. On Wednesday I tackled a job application for a position quite different to what I do now. I really struggled with it, wrote it as best I could only to have Peter critique it as "hmm sorry dear but I think you've missed the mark." I tried rewriting it but couldnt get past my original headset. At one stage I conceded defeat. But because I'm a bit of a never-give-up girl, I rallied myself to give it another go and pulled it together at the 11th hour. There's nothing like a bit of 'I'm hopeless, I just cant get this' feeling to drag you down and fuel all those feelings of failure and inadequacy, making for a shitty few days.

But thats past and next week will be awesome because I decree it so :-)

Cheers all

M

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely thing to do with your mum every year, Magda. My girls and I started a bit of a tradition last year and the three of us go for a manicure/pedicure then lunch for my birthday...as they get older I hope this continues and becomes a yearly girly day for the three of us :)...we might do it for their birthdays too, which means 3x a year :D
    I like that the movie addresses all types of "birth", including adoption. I can only imagine how the foster mums feel...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I'm sure your girls love the day out as much as you do so there's a good chance it will continue on. It was a nice movie. Funny but a bit gut wrenching as well. Especially for a big sook like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely photo of your Mum and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle. I love that pic even though its several years old now.

    ReplyDelete