Saturday, June 9, 2012

SHAPEWEAR TO THE RESCUE

Today was my lunch date with one of my loveliest friends Miss R. We meet up for lunch about every 6-8 weeks always somewhere nice, always over a bottle of bubbly, always with LOTS to catch up on. We also get dressed up - its never a jeans and whatever affair.

Two lunches ago in February it was her birthday. She looked stunning in a gorgeous black dress and killer yellow heels. I was at the end of my 'study is taking over my life, I havent got time to exercise and I'm comfort eating like there's no tomorrow' phase. I was fat. I felt awful. I REALLY struggled (emotionally) to make it. I had no idea what I could wear - hardly anything fitted me. I chose my Zara pink skirt because I had bought it when I was a little heavier. I looked like an overstuffed sausage in it. I felt awful but put all my energy into my 'brave, happy face.'

At our last lunch Miss R wore one of her very gorgeous designer dresses. She looked stunning. My top was really nice but that was about it. When we went shopping after the meal we bumped into a dad from my son's school and I swear he was flirting with her while his wife was in the change rooms and Miss R was trying on shoes. Tsk tsk.

Anyway, I digress. With lunch coming up today I was struggling to pick a suitable outfit so my fallback was the red dress I'm wearing in my profile pic. It is mega clingy and right now I'm not mega slim. Tada. Shapewear to the rescue. On it went and the lumps and bumps got smoothed out. I swear the dress looked as good as it does in my profile pic when I was about 3-4 kilos lighter. Yet again, deep down I felt somewhat invincible LOL. Now here's the ironic bit ..... Miss R wore stretchy pants tucked into flat boots and a casual knit top LOL LOL LOL. She went for warmth (smart woman). I went for glam (silly, vain woman). Meh, we still had a fantastic time.

At the end of it all I arrived home, raced upstairs, ripped off the dress, stockings and shapewear and threw on trackie daks and a big mohair jumper for warmth. Aaaah comfort at last. I guess looking good comes at a price but when there's nobody looking (hubby and son dont count) then why pay it?

Cheers all

M

Sorry, no time for pics as it was a bit of a mad rush to make it to lunch without being too late.




4 comments:

  1. ...you know, I've NEVER worn shapewear...must do womething about that asap ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I remember having a pair of firm hold undies in my teens/early twenties and then nothing for 20+ years. It was Kerryn who mentioned them and I thought to get a pair for these times when I'm not as slim as I'd like to be but need to look so. They're passion killers thats for sure but they do give a firm smooth look when you need a bit of help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magda when I was at my slimmest I bought shapewear for a black slinky dress I was wearing, it made all the difference. Definitely helps to smooth out the lumpy bits lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristy, it made a pleasant difference, and I quite like that tightish girdle feel holding me in LOL.

    ReplyDelete