Thursday, June 7, 2012

AND THE VERDICT IS ......

Despite today being very busy with meetings galore, I managed to fit in a visit to my GP. Peter was on a training course in the city so we did our bit for the environment and took one car in. We met for lunch and sorted out the end of day travel plans for me to get to the doctor. I like how he subtly suggested that he didnt need to be dropped home early and could come with me (just in case I was upset at some bad news).

During the day I had a few moments to myself and my thoughts automatically went to "Oh no what if I'm pre-diabetic?" or worse "What if I'm DIABETIC?" I couldnt imagine what else could be wrong as I had excellent test result only a year ago and surely my health couldnt have declined in a relatively short time. Plus I feel healthy.

So the verdict was that I'm too low in Vitamin D. A year ago my reading was comfortably in the recommended 80-90 range. This year its less than half of that. Haaaa??? Doc said we better get onto it with supplements or in another year's time I could be returning because my bones have disintegrated to piles of dust LOL. We talked about it a bit and apart from it being a sun thing two other considerations are important: getting enough calcium in your diet (I'm guilty of skimping on it, thats for sure) and age :-( being that the older we get the less efficiently we can absorb it. The risk of low Vitamin D levels is bone weakness where you become more susceptible to fractures etc. No thank you. I'll be starting on the supps immediately and will make a concerted effort to up my dietary calcium intake.  

On every other level my test results were good - excellent. Blood sugars totally normal. Cholestrol up slightly but because my good cholestrol is very high it counteracts the slightly high combined cholestrol reading. The verdict was I'm at very low risk of cardiovascular disease - readers, eat your atlantic salmon!!!! I swear its making the difference for me as both my parents are on cholestrol medication.

So I just need to get my Vit D levels back up and I'm back to perfect (said with tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

:-) M

10 comments:

  1. That must be a relief, and Vit D was my guess, Magda. Welcome to the club... my vitamin D was a spectacular 15 late last year. Up to 44 now, so getting there with the help of my two little capsules a day.

    Must check my calcium intake too - thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My trusty Google search gave slightly different info re: calcium but will take my GP's recommendation to up it, regardless. Hmmm 15 is LOW. I dropped from 82 to 38 so not chronically serious but enough to require action. Bring on those capsules :-)

    And yes VERY relieved. I even had a giggle as I'd been joking around about Vitamin D defficiency being 'the latest buzz'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magda,
    its good to hear that its a 'minor' problem that can reasonably easily be fixed!
    You have prompted me to call and make an appointment for a thorough check at the doctors. Why wait until there is a huge 'issue' - I'd rather try and be pro active in looking after myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you've been feeling down and out! I had this experience in France but a vile of vitamin D and a few months later came good again. I've never forgotten that horrible time so always make sure I get some sun when I can and also take vitamin D capsules daily.

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maryanne, we share the same philosophy about being pro-active in looking after ourselves. My results are consistently good but I dont want to get complacent and assume they'll stay that way. If something starts going downhill its best to get on top of it straight away.

    Hi Shelley, in two weeks time I'll be ODing on Vitamin D. Bring it on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magda you have got me thinking whether I should book in for a checkup. I would like to get my iron levels checked, plus got to have that yucky girl check...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristy, 2 words DO IT. Tis better to know and rectify any problems early than stick your head in the sand thinking everything is ok. I can honestly say I didnt 'feel different' and would never have known if I hadnt been tested. My doc also said that the effects of Vit D defficiency creep up on you over time and by the time you notice something is wrong, you're in dire trouble. So GET TESTED (for wahtever you have doubts or concerns about).

    xx m

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Magda, my last test also showed that I was very low in vit D. I use the drops which are excellent (BioCeutical range). Apparently 1/3 of the population is low.
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gillian, I was joking about it when my GP was writing the script for the blood tests so was 'amused' when I was defficient myself. Apparently, being 'older' doesnt help - as my GP tried to point out as tactfully as possible LOL. Thanks for the tip about the drops. I'm shopping for my supps tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete