Monday, July 18, 2011

MOVING IN SINGAPORE

Firstly thank you for everybody's well wishes for my holiday which is now sadly over. To alleviate the common bloggers' block my next few posts will recap my wonderful time away from a few different (mainly health and fitness) perspectives.

So here goes with the first instalment: moving.

I was determined to maintain my goal of moving for at least 30 minutes at least half of the days of the week. On the day we left I still got up early and walked for about 40 minutes. It was so enjoyable with the cold biting at my face and lots of upbeat tracks shuffling on my iPod. I even sang along to some of them not giving a damn if somebody heard me and thought I had totally lost the plot. I was flying off to Singapore that day and I had every right to be happy.

In Singapore I managed to do something every day we were there. The gym at our resort was beautifully kitted out with Life Fitness equipment that made me go weak at the knees when I saw it. I never train in a gym anymore as I have my own set up at home so its a real treat to have a wide range of equipment at my disposal.

I varied my workouts between mixed cardio using all the cardio machines (X Trainer, treadie and bikes), weights and walking along Siloso Beach. I think I enjoyed the weights the most because of the equipment. For instance on leg day I took advantage of the seated leg press in place of barbell squats. I was happy but my right hip wasnt and I spent the day hobbling in pain but luckily it healed itself quickly.

I also had a demoralising encounter with an ab machine LOL. I lay down on it, grabbed the handles overhead and started to crunch away. Within a few reps I felt like my upper abs were being ripped from my body. I called it quits after 8 reps and did my trusty old fitball crunches with a 5kg medicine ball instead. The next day and still to today my abs are so sore that it hurts to laugh, cough or sneeze. Oh ab strength where have you gone???

I genuinely loved doing a bit of training every day. It made me feel good physically and feel good about myself and my body. I wore my shorts / tights above the knees and I felt ok doing so. Hell my legs are my worse feature but I wont use that as an excuse to hide them from the world. Besides it was so friggin hot there that long anything was just out of the question.

Well thats enough about Singapore fitness. Since being home I need to get back into my usual routine but I know that'll sort itself out pretty quickly. Come back tomorrow for my second instalment which will probabaly be "Oh my, the food here is superb."

Cheers all

Magda

4 comments:

  1. I love doing fitness things when I'm away on holidays - and judging by my macaron and pasta consumption in Melbourne, I like to do eating things as well he he. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back chicky babe. Hope you had an awesome holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, and the best thing about fitness stuff on holidays is not having to get up at 5am to do it :-)

    Thanks Sandra. I wish I could say its good to be back but its so frickin cold here ...

    That I did Miss Shelley. Thank you. XX

    ReplyDelete