Tuesday, July 26, 2011

FREESTYLING AND SOYA BEANS

Since being back from Singapore and weight training in my little studio, I must admit that the inspiration to do so has been pretty low. Oh how I pine for the flashy equipment offering variety, the company of fellow gym goers and the 8am starts.

But alas they are not my reality so today it was a case of suck it up and get on with it. However a change in routine was well overdue and I just freestyled it through a new program for back / shoulders and tris. Here's what I did with heavyish weights (first time on some of the exercises for a long time):

One arm DB rows 12 reps x 3 sets
Narrow grip lat pulldowns 12 reps x 3 sets
BB Row with wide grip as above

Clean and press with BB 10 reps x 3 sets
Lat raises 12 reps x 3 sets

Tri kickbacks 12 reps x 3 sets
Dips as above.

Wow this was awesome. I could even feel a little sweat being worked up (unheard of when I weight train in a freezing shed) and by the end of some sets my muscles were screaming. I really felt like I made this session count - which hasnt been the case recently. So a little change goes a long way to bumping up the motivation and inspiration.

Food wise I'm experimenting with soya beans as I had a packet needing to be used up so I did the overnight soak and then cooked them for the recommended 2 hours. Lunch today was steam fried veges with brown rice and the soya beans. It was ok. The beans have a bit of crunch but are not big on flavour. Note to self: spice up the veges a bit stronger than normal and all should be good. I have a recipe that I'm going to try and will post it and pics if I'm happy with how it turns out. My mission over the next 2 months is to demolish these soya beans with no less than 4 different recipes.

Stay tuned for pics and recipes if they are good enough to share.

M

4 comments:

  1. Wow how many soya beans do you have Magda lol...

    Look forward to seeing the pics... :)

    Would you consider going back to the gym for a few months for a bit of a change or happy hammering away in your studio, which sounds great by the way?

    Kristy :)

    btw great that you allow anonymous comments as from work I can use my google account for some reason on yours or Pips, plus a couple others...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy I had a 500g packet of dry beans that will cook up to a LOT of soya beans so the challenge is on. Fortunately I have a Family Circle cookbook dedicated to soy recipes so that will help me a lot. Now it's just finding the time and inspiration to experiment with some of the recipes.

    As for going to a gym, well I'm not prepared to part with the cash, especially after my recent shopping spree. So my own equipment will have to do and the dollars stay in my purse which is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the beans Magda - have no idea how to use them so will look to you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a soya bean newbie too Liz but am game to experiment with them rather than throw them away.

    ReplyDelete