Monday, October 4, 2010

KEEP IT SIMPLE

Welcome to the next instalment in what I might call "Magda's Musings." This one is KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I must admit, whilst the first couple flowed out quite easily, I'm finding this one a little harder to write. Keep it simple. Keep WHAT simple?

Keep your eating simple? Keep your training simple? Maybe keep your life simple or your thoughts / dreams simple? Aaaargh there are so many options.

I think for me the answer is a blend of all of the above. Or the motto - "the simpler the better."

On the eating front this might mean simple food - unprocessed, like it grows in nature, quick healthy meals (I have no MasterChef aspirations), eating when you're hungry and not analysing everything to the nth degree. Simple eating is good, stress-free eating which leads onto simple thoughts.

If you're not stressing about every morsel to pass your lips (eg too many carbs, too much fat ) and consulting CalorieKing before you consume it, then thoughts can be a lot simpler. And a lot calmer. Food can be enjoyed, like it was meant to be (just ask an Italian or a French person).

For me, simple thoughts also mean not agonising over the scales too much by calculating how much weight I can lose by when if I do such and such. The scales are no longer an enemy but its taken me a long time to put them into perspective.

Keeping life simple is a challenge that few will master I'm sure. Unfortunately devoting myself wholeheartedly to an earthmother existence where I'm at one with the planet, the universe and my soul is never going to happen and I'm ok with that. I actually like my busy life and know that a wonderful catch up with precious friends is but a phone call away and then I feel happy and grounded yet again.

Whether I like it or not, I have no option now but to keep my training simple. My weight training facility is temporarily out of service. Should all be up and running again around the middle of November (I hope). I am limited to walking daily but I know that introducing some easy jogging is not far off. So I dont stress. I do what I can knowing its better than nothing and is not a permanent restriction. Before long i'll be soaring to new heights, I'm sure.

So there you have my thoughts on the simple stuff that matters to me and how it helps me to lead a healthy lifestyle. Do you have anything to add? Do you agree? Or is my viewpoint too simplistic?

Magda

4 comments:

  1. Nice post there Magda!

    In my lifestyle I am busy like 95% of other people. Today for me was up/brekkie which today consisted of cold cooked leftover vegies/lemon juice from last night and a small bowl non fat greek yoghurt with 1/3 scoop protein powder stirred through, (spent too much time doing face and getting Mon jobs done before bus). Quite tasty so don't cringe haha, cold cooked veg still taste good!
    Then ran to bus before at 5.45am, big morning at work, even too busy for skinny flat white! Lunch was a decent sized multigrain baguette, about 40g smoked salmon and full salad with scraping of dijon and sprinkling of chives, no butter. Had time for a medium skinny flat white early arvo, then went to gym for a thrashing. Got home after walk from bus at 7.15pm hungry, thought umm, will I make a yummy egg white omelette with spinach/feta and vegies on the side or will I have one of the cold rissoles BF cooked up yesterday and steam up some veg. Rissoles aren't too unhealthy as I think he used the lean mince I bought and they consist of lots of onion haha and grated carrot and some marinade sauce, flour and egg. Not quite as clean as the egg white option but also less waste, less spending etc is a priority too plus the fact I don't want to change from binge mode to being totally obsessed with total clean eating real quickly, partly for expense and coming across a bit faddish. Anyway went for the cold rissole pattie with some steamed veg in fridge with a glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very much a keep it simple gal-and fotunately, our lifestyle allows us to live this way; we will eventually go even simpler-living more sustainably-growing all our own stuff etc. But we all have our own limits-and what you've laid out for yourself will work, if you want it to. The simpler the better for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magda,

    If your gym at home is not up and running yet, why not just get a three month membership and get into the local gym??????? Options my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple is good - I find it easier to eat well if the food prep is simple. Big fan of simple!

    ReplyDelete