Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I DIGRESS

.... from my "Magda's Musings" posts which I will return to very shortly. I just want to share a little of what I've been up to on the health and fitness front.

SUGAR FREE for 18 days now and looking solid to nail the 21 days. In fact I KNOW I'll nail it because I have decided so. I'm actually believing now that the less sugar you eat, the less you crave. I'm not having any mad desires for cakes or biscuits even though they are normally some of my favourite foods. Whether I go beyond 21 days, I'll play that by ear when the time comes. I just know that I like how I'm feeling :-)

WALK / JOG training is back in my schedule and so far, so good. I am taking it easy to test the waters and not go 110% effort on the take off and possibly put myself back several steps. So its all pretty cruisy now but I'm loving the higher intensity of the jog intervals and the higher pulse rate and calorie burn :-) I've completed 2 walk/jogs, will only walk tomorrow and then do another walk/jog on Thursday. Although I'm not yet pain free from my recent back injury, I've decided that waiting for the holy grail is not how I want to live my life so its time to move out of my comfort zone and test the waters.

ZUMBA is a new fitness craze that has many people raving about it. A girl I work with was doing a weekly class (on top of her regular exercise) and then she gave it up. When I asked why, her response was "I had to, I was losing too much weight." Well, hearing that I couldnt get there fast enough LOL. But in fact I had to wait several weeks for my back to improve. Yet again I had reached my limit on waiting to be pain free so last night Miss R and I headed off to a local class to shake and shimmy our tooshies for an hour to some of the best music and atmosphere I've enjoyed for a while. It was a lot of fun and not overly taxing on the brain. It was a fairly good workout (not as good as my walk/jogs) but not as intense as some had reported it to be. Maybe they are pretty unfit or maybe they are better dancers and move more than I did. Who knows? I'm sticking with it for the fun and soicial factor and also because any movement is better than an evening chained to Facebook and blogging.

WEIGHT is coming down nicely with a smidge away from 5kgs lost in a relatively short time. Cant complain about that when I'm still enjoying wine, skim cappuccinos, pizza for dinner at my parents' place tonight and some lovely meals out. I guess it just goes to prove that if you eat moderate serves of mainly lean and healthy foods, keep your treats under control and get in a moderate amount of exercise on most days, the Metal Monster will become your Metal Mate (although that doesnt sound nearly as catchy).

So thats me in a pretty good place both physically and mentally and working towards staying here as long as possible.

Next post will be GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD so stay tuned in the next few days.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Magda...

    I agree I need something to do on weeknights other then just coming home each night and surfing the web. I do enough of that at work lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job Magda - I've yet to try Zumba-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy, your post about loving music made me think that you should try Zumba. I reckon you'd love it as it really is a musical/dance experience rather than "exercise".

    Liz, I recommend it for a fun workout. Not nearly as intense as RPM but guaranteed to get your hips shimmying and shaking.

    ReplyDelete