Monday, November 26, 2012

SELF PSYCHOLOGY 101

I've had this post rolling around in my head for days. Its still a jumbled mess of thoughts, questions, observations and speculation. Maybe by putting it out here I can come up with some answers especially as I always welcome comments from anybody inclined to throw their 2c worth in. I'm listening.

Events over the last couple of weeks have got me thinking again as to just what is the secret to long term, pain free weight management eg getting it off and keeping it off. Now having said that I could launch into a whole lot of factors that are NOT the answer but the 'secret' is eluding me, yet again. Let me explain.

In August this year I had hit a point where my weight was making me really unhappy. I was too heavy, had hardly any clothes that fitted and I felt awful. Living and feeling that way just weren't  long term prospects that I was prepared to entertain. So I took action through eating more healthy foods and exercising regularly. I was in a good head space and was getting good results. Life was good and I was happy. So fast forward to now and I just cant get that spark, that desire, that *something* back to keep going and of course I've slid right back to a heavier weight again :-(

Which has lead me to contemplate just what is different about those people who do it and get it right? What is different about their life, their thoughts and their subsequent actions? How do some people just find their groove, make their commitment and stick to it when I seem to forever be on the slippery slope of 2 steps forward, 1 step back?

I can tell you what, in MY experience hasnt worked for me:

1. Goal setting for weight loss. Goals set = hundreds. Goals achieved = hardly any (bar the few where some loss was inevitable). As a weight loss strategy for me this one is a big FAIL.

2. Following a set diet plan. Earlier this year I (quietly) joined Michelle Bridges' 12 wbt challenge. Ironically, by the time it started, I was in such a good place with my eating and exercise that I didn't feel like I needed it. When I saw that it came with a 'set diet' I just totally ignored it. I cant handle being told that on Monday I'll have a slice of toast with baked beans for breakfast and so on. Yet I'm pretty good at just making healthy choices because I like them and I like how they make me feel.

3. Any 12 week body transformation challenge. Done many, succeeded at (maybe) the first one but that is all. 

Is it that some people are just so blissfully happy with their lives that food is a non-issue? If somebody has the 'ideal job' or sideline does that make a difference? I can think of many people that might fit in this category so for me its a valid speculation.

Is it making a decision and sticking to it through thick and thin? My personal experience is that making the decision is the easy part but sticking to it is where I wear thin (or rather, stay thick LOL). The old saying that it takes 3 weeks to form a new habit .... pffft. Yep to some degree, but in my case its the old habits that die hard.

Is it such a quantum shift in thinking that it will take years of consciously working at it before it becomes second nature? 

Is it something I havent even considered?

This is not a quest for the ideal training plan or diet as I truly dont think its about the food or how heavy you lift or how fast you run. Nor is it a lack of knowledge about either of these aspects that is the problem but I do accept that knowledge does not equal action. Its about the head, the mind and getting that right and keeping it right. I read a really spot on quote on FB recently that went something like : Weight management is like a three legged stool: diet, exercise and headset. If just one of those doesnt work the stool will fall over. And yep, my damn stool keeps toppling over and I'm sick of it.

Thats enough for today. I'm doing my own head in LOL. Maybe the Universe will send an answer tonight.

M

 
.



 

6 comments:

  1. No magic answer Magda, but I have just signed up for this - http://simplefitnesshabit.com/ and first job was to choose a habit I want to implement, only one and only a small one. It also has to happen after a set trigger, e.g the trigger is getting out of the bed and my habit is having a glass of water with lemon juice. Once you have done that for 4-6 weeks you add something else small.

    A very different concept, very slow concept as I want to change everything at once, but past history shows me that doesn't work long term... I will see how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the secret is "letting go" and loving and accepting your body as it now. Only then can it change into what you desire. Whenever you set goals, etc that go against what your subconscious believes you will sabotage yourself time and again. The hard part is finding out what you due truly believe and perhaps this only comes through either silence, kinesiology, non dominant hand writing, etc. There's also cellular memory which is where past hurts, emotions and beliefs all reside. Maybe the key is actually doing the inner work and forgetting about the outer. What do you actually tell yourself throughout the day? Start listening and taking note of that voice when it whispers and when it shouts. Take care of that little child inside that just wants to be loved unconditionally. When she feels taken care of the exercise and diet will be taken care of too.

    If it's taken years dealing with your weight then maybe yes it will take years of consciously working on the other stuff so that your weight falls into place. You know the saying if you keep resisting it, it's going to persist.

    That's my 2 cents worth. You may think I'm a nutter but this is what works for me to be truly happy with my body and with life. Of course, there's still ups and downs, but that's the journey and no-one, let me tell you no-one live always in the up.

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Habits are interesting beasts - we ingrain certain ways of 'doing' into our behaviours and bingo, before we know it, we've developed a habit - good or bad.
    I think long term weight control does mean realizing that you're in the driver's seat - and that every decision you make in relation to what you eat is one that you own.

    You've used your higher brain and intelligence to figure out what doesn't work. Use your brains to realize that you do know what works for you and that sometimes you have to slap yourself around a bit to keep the inner Lab on his/her leash :)

    I don't think that you've got to do non dominant hand writing or listen to your inner woo woo to find peace with this. IF you've got the time to navel gaze, then great, but personally I believe most satisfaction comes in the execution :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. here you go my friend...... it's all about planning a menu and sticking to it.... Monday to Friday no excuses, and on the weekends loosen it up a bit. there is no magic secret, no talent required, just good old honest consistency. You know my number, call me and just f%^&cking do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got nothing for you, but I must say out of your commenters I tend to agree with Kerry W above...good advice that I think would suit you, Magda. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should say that Sandra. Kerry and I competed in Adelaide together both for the first time in 2007. She kept going. I didnt. We still keep in touch :-)

    ReplyDelete