Thursday, March 10, 2011

THE 55 DAY CHALLENGE - PLANNING

When we embark on a fitness / weight loss challenge or just commit to a weight loss or fitness goal it would be so much easier if we could just slip into our zone of eating right / training regularly and nurturing our headspace. No outside distractions, no temptations, no challenges just get on with doing it, all in the perfect world.

Well that is NEVER going to happen so we better accept that there will be distractions, temptations and challenges aplenty. So what can we do to give ourselves a better chance of succeedding?

PLAN

Think ahead and assess the situations we'll be in. What specific challenges will we face? How will they make us feel? How can we turn a negative into a postitive? What can we do to manage or handle that situation better than we may have previously? Sometimes just BEING AWARE will make us stop and reassess some of our behaviours.

Over the coming weeks my social calendar really kicks up a gear. Peter and I are usually quieter home bodies which we love but at certain times of the year this goes out the window and its all about visiting and eating with family, eating out, drinks out at friends' places repeated over and over.

It would be too easy to just give up trying to lose weight and enjoy the food and wine without much restraint but I dread coming back here in a few weeks time and declaring that I'm "starting over." So I'm planning ahead. Planning to work on my focus and commitment to keep my headspace where it needs to be. Planning healthy meal options when I control what food is available and planning to be the driver when we're out so that I limit my wine intake. I also have a plethora of little wierd and wonderful strategies that work a treat when faced with lots of food challenges.

I may not shed kilos at a rate of knots but if I can keep the loss moving slowly in the right direction then I'm considering that a WIN. I can always ramp it up a little down the track if I feel the need. It starts tomorrow and finishes ... well I guess it doesnt really finish because there are always situations that challenge us and having a perpetual plan is probably a good thing.

I ran for an hour this morning and felt ok. Eats have been good and I'm feeling pretty damned good despite my usual aches and pains.

:-) M

No comments:

Post a Comment