Tuesday, December 7, 2010

NUTRITIONAL ASSESSMENT

Last week I completed a questionnaire where I detailed my usual lunches, breakfasts and dinners, my training activities both in frequency and intensity, the frequency at which I consume  a wide range of foods from all of the food groups (including alcohol and treats) and a little about my general health and of course what my goals are in terms of my nutrition. It was quite comprehensive and easy to complete bar that I have recently changed my eating habits to incorporate more vegetarian meals and of course I've been pretty committed to eating sugar free.

I sent this to a registered dietician for a nutritional assessment and for a nutritional plan to support my Half Marathon training, to lose a few kilos in order to reduce stress on my previously injured joints and muscles and to address a few minor health concerns.

I did this because I was honestly struggling with eating right for the training I was about to take on, in light of recent injuries and a burning desire "to get it right." I must confess that its taken me 3 years to break free from the body building diet mentality but had I swung too far the other way? It was time for some professional advice.

I received my reply yesterday and it surprised me (pleasantly!!). Firstly I respect the opinion of a registered dietician who advises the general public and is particularly experienced in endurance training, herself being an accomplished distance runner. I have no interest in going down the path of another body building diet where its all about protein. I'm a runner now and I need carbs (but I need the correct amount at the correct times).

I was pleased to be told that my baisc diet was healthy and quite balanced. I was meeting all of micronutrient needs (bar one) and I had a lot of good, healthy eating habits. Albeit my calories were generally low (thats the old diet menatlity hanging on) but if I consider my weekend eating I think they balance out. I particularly liked a few bits of advice such as:

"Up to 2 standard drinks per day, most days are ok if you're aiming to reduce your body fat."

"Your caffeine intake is not excessive and in fact is an ideal amount of caffeine considering the associated anti oxidant benefits ..." and the best one.....

"Make a time to enjoy a nice chocolate bar or an ice cream so you have a place for your weekly treat ..... After all, with all that training there needs to be some rewards."

There were some great tips for improving my diet and I'll be working to gradually implement them in a natural way rather than being a slave to a set of rules. The only bit that didnt thrill me was her advice to log my intake for a few days to see if I was actually eating as I'd reported and not underestimating my intake. (Admittedly this is a bit of a risk as just logging today and some of tomorrow had me gasping a bit at some of the foods I'm having - albeit not regularly). So for a few days I'm back on CalKing but rest assured its not becoming a permanent fixture in my life again.

I'll study her report further to help me absorb the myriad of information provided but all up I consider it money well spent. And its a normal, doable eating plan with no food groups banned and aimed at achieveing a healthy weight without comprimising your health or mental wellbeing.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Magda, it sounds like a great plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All sounds pretty sensible to me. I think revisiting Cal King may give you a different perspective of it, especially working with Kerith - you're not trying to hit macros or calories, just becoming a bit more aware of your own personal needs and that is it! . I think keeping a food diary can be eye opening but in this situation it's not meant for long term (and for most of us, it shouldn't be )
    Good to see you enjoying your training :)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristy, I still plan to email you soon.

    Liz I had really mixed feelings about being back on CK especially as some of the old obsessive behaviours started to creep in - and that was just in ONE day. Am considering a slightly different approach after I study my report further. Will keep blogging about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That all sounds excellent Magda :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Magda, you will be a machine my friend! Great choice to get some expert advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sam and what lovely surprise to see you here. Thanks for dropping by.

    :-) Magda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rene, its time I got things in order. iI know I can do another HM but preparatioin for it will be a lot more specific than last time.

    ReplyDelete