Thursday, July 26, 2012

HOW CAN IT BE ....

.... they say there are 4 things that are extremely aging and will show up on your face making you look older than your years.

1. Exposure to sunlight - wear sunscreen, a hat, stay out of direct sun etc. Whilst a tan may look great, it is in fact, damaged skin which then ages quicker.

2. Smoking - this one is a no-brainer. If you want lots of fine and eventually deep lines around your mouth then go for it. Not to mention what it does to your skin, lungs, breath ... need I go on.

3. Alcohol - research has shown that the heavier the drinker - and thats not on the scales but in drinks regularly consumed - the quicker they age. Its bad for your skin, liver, weight etc. 

4. Sugar - there's a whole scientific explanation for this summed up as glycation but it translates into a clear message that every time we consume sugar we increase the inflamation in our bodies and voila - we're aging faster.

Our local paper ran an interesting article a few months ago showing how a woman of 40 years of age would look if she was exposed to any of these factors at significant levels. It was a scary article with even scarier pictures.

Whilst holidaying for 3+ weeks I couldnt help but have in the back of my mind how I was overindulging in 2 of the above 4 factors - alcohol and sugar. Aaargh , what if I came home looking 10 years older LOL.

Luckily it doesnt happen that quickly and my skin still looks ok but a little extra support never goes astray and there's more on that coming soon.

But how can it be that my BF who I shall just call Miss E is turning 50 next month and is again living a party-hard lifestyle - late nights on most weekends, lots of alcohol, a pretty relaxed diet (yet she is not overweight at all) can have such beautiful and youthful skin? I dont have a recent picture of her and I'm not sure I would post it anyway but when she came to take me out to lunch on Sunday she looked fabulous. Then she went on to tell me how she'd been out late the night before and had drunk heaps. Whatthe??!! She should look 60 years old LOL.

I make no secret of the fact that I want to keep my skin looking as good as possible for as long as possible. Fountain of youth? Yeah baby, let me swim in it. On the cruise I had a mild microdermabrasion facial which was total bliss and left my skin feeling so nice, that night I went to dinner with only a little mascara and lipstick on. But the icing on the cake was the beauty therapist telling me I had really good skin and whatever my beauty routine was I should stick with it. She did suggest an eye serum which I promptly bought and am now using regularly. Every little bit helps.

So does good skin and a youthful face come down to genetics or lifestyle? What are your thoughts?

M





9 comments:

  1. Hmm Magda, I honestly think it is about 50/50 genetics and lifestyle. There are some lucky ones which don't sunburn easily and keep a size/shape they are happy with not much thought to it. But even with less than ideal genetics there is much one can do to slow down aging. For my recent birthday, I had someone guess I was 33, another 34, another said 'late 30s', all that honestly made me feel like total shit as I take pride in how I look after my skin. I turned 32. I did like the facebook age 'game' that came up with 26 as a number, lol! I can't see on my face where I am excessively aging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of all four sins and yet I look younger now than I did when I was in 'peak' physical condition. I believe the secret is happiness -- that's it -- if you're full of joy you'll always look young and beautiful no matter what age you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's all a crock of shit! Guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty yet I'm now at a place where I have beautiful clear, smooth, soft skin and no signs of ageing. Well, that's how I see myself anyway. I only wear makeup, as in foundation, when I go out, and I've always used cheap cleansers so how can it be? I believe when you are calm, happy and at peace true beauty shines through.

    SS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a combination of genetics and lifestyle. Though I do think the above factors really do have an influence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, think it's a combination of both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad attitude and worry and acting 'flustered' is aging as well I think, Katie I do agree, I honestly think you look younger now than when you presented on stage competing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pip,guessing somebody's age is really tricky and can get you into all sorts of trouble. I've sometimes guessed people to be older than they are purely because they are so mature and have achieved so much. I think with a good lifestyle most people now look younger than their years so I hate playing the guessing game.

    Katie, I would have to agree. Being in 'peak physical condition' is hardly the recipe for looking youthful. In fact it can be aging just from the very low body fat levels leaving your face looking drawn and less attractive. Plus the very restricted diet hardly promotes a 'healthy glow'.

    Would you like some time to consider that, Miss Shelley. LMFAO!! I love how you push boundaries and break rules. Life is too short to conform and run with the pack, hey?? I do agree that you have beautiful skin from our lomg ago meeting and more recentlty in photos.

    Liz, I tend to agree but there will awlays be those that are lucky enough to have the genetics on their side.

    Michelle, ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this :)

    I think it's both genes and lifestyle. I'm only 31 but have been told I look a lot younger - I certainly feel it! My mother is only in her mid fifties and looks fantastic so I hope I take after her!! For me I think it's all about keeping active (running is well known for its ability to keep old age at bay!)and being happy and enjoying life! I have a few smile lines but I really look after my skin because I've been to hell and back (on Roaccutane!) to get it clear and healthy. I eat well, drink heaps of water and get lots of fresh air, as well as having a few benders every now and then. But overall I do everything I can to ensure my health and longevity. It's important to me that I can still touch my toes and run when I'm 60 :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phil and thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I've also really enjoyed reading all the different perspectives from people with different backgrounds and beliefs. I consider myself one of the lucky ones too after having bad skin as a teenager, now in my late 40s its pretty good.I'm sure mine is due to my daily secret weapon - I start every day with a large glass of warm water with fresh lemon juice in it. Its a daily mini detox :-) And amen to still running (or being active) in our 60s.

    M

    ReplyDelete