Monday, January 21, 2013

THE UPDATED VERDICT

I saw the orthopaedic surgeon this morning and was given a very interesting update on my  assumed bone spur. Its not a spur at all, instead its an os trigonum which is a small triangular shaped bone that sits deep behind the achilles. I'm told that 7% of the population is born with this and there is a 50% chance that my other foot has one as well. As to why its giving me a problem now, he said I probably sustained a foot or ankle injury that aggravated it and changed my foot alignment and hence its causing me this pain when my foot is extended. Basically I have 2 choices: put up with it and never wear heels again or have it removed. That's an absolute no-brainer for me. I'm having it removed.

My boss is back at work on 4 Feb and I'm booked in for my surgery a week later on the 11th. Its key hole surgery and a minor procedure requiring only a light general anaesthetic and a morning's admission. I'll be home by lunch time, on crutches for a few days, hobbling around a week later and off work for 1-2 weeks depending on how mobile I am. Driving will be out for at least a week, but probably ok within 2 weeks. If my recovery is on track and there are no problems or complications and I stay off it as much as possible in the early weeks, I should be back running by week 4. If that pushes out to 6 weeks its still a reasonable time being incapacitated LOL. (Perhaps I'll reserve judgement until I'm laid up on the couch and going stir crazy!)

I'm so pleased that I got an earlier appointment and that my surgery will be as early as I originally wanted it. Although I reckon being housebound for several days might just do my head in. I might start stocking up on crosswords and sudokus again. It will be weird being useless for a while. 

On a brighter note, I have 3 weeks to keep training hard and after my surgery I should be able to do some upper body weights in the second week or so. I guess I'll just listen to my body and see how it all feels.

Cheers all

M

 

3 comments:

  1. All is happening for you. Sorry to hear about the surgery but am pleased you don't need to wait too long! Fingers crossed for a straightforward speedy recovery! BTW, GREAT job on your recent workouts. You are a tough cookie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a relatively easy fix. Hooray for you -!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pip, dont be sorry. I'm just so glad its fixable without endless treatment that may or may not fix the problem. And getting in early is EXACTLY what I wanted.

    Yes Liz, while surgery is never 'fun' this is pretty straightforward. I cant imagine I'll have any problems other than the usual post operative pain etc. Oh and getting used to using crutches LOL.

    ReplyDelete