Sunday, January 20, 2013

OH THE PAIN .......

...... But it's ok, we'll sorta.

I have raised the bar somewhat with my training and my body is feeling it. On Thursday morning I had a brainwave to do sprints instead of my usual plod along steady state jog. I just felt like doing something different. So after my warm up walk and brief jog I chose a stretch between 2 streets and sprinted down and walked back up, 10 times. It was a great workout. My heart rate got up and stayed up really well. I finished with an easy jog home and felt awesome.

In response to this amazing training session, my body rewarded me with really sore adductors (inner thigh muscles). So on Friday I moderated my training to a 30 minute walk followed by abs - 130 to be precise. Not sure what I did different because I NEVER get ab DOMS but this time I broke the mould and am suffering big time.

Add to this mix my extremely scabby elbow and wrist (I fell over on my run on Tuesday) and I'm the walking wounded. I also have a knee that is turning beautiful shades of purple and grey and is as itchy as hell.

I've rejigged my training schedule a little to allow me to do legs in the afternoon on Saturday. I find I'm better warmed up, more flexible and stronger. All god things as I have nudged my weights up higher and am finding the training harder. This also allows me to do my favourite hour of power on Sundays which suits me the best.

So on that 'woe is me' note, I shall bid a fond farewell for now. I'm bracing myself for a bitch of a week at work but I'm organised with 2 days' lunches made ahead and my training shall be done, regardless. Oh and just 1 last thing, my orthopaedic surgeon's appointment has been changed to tomorrow morning.

Will report back when time permits.

PS I actually feel great - just sore:-)

M

2 comments:

  1. Nothing feels as good as sore muscles! Do you have a foam roller? I just recently got one and used it this morning after my 12km and I think it has REALLY helped! You sound like you're well planned for the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryanne, I 'foam roll' with my rolled up yoga mat but admit its been a while since I've done it. Yeah I agree that sore muscles just confirm "girl, you worked HARD" and that's a good thing.

    :-) M

    ReplyDelete