Friday, January 11, 2013

PHEW! SURVIVED THE WEEK

Well as I launch myself into Friday, I must say its a huge relief to get here.

The week started out quietish but I knew there was a major deadline looming on a big project that my colleague is managing. My role in this project was to proofread endless documents, make edits, check and re-check them. We've been plugging away at this since the start of January but this was the week (yesterday) when it was all due. Needless to say there were some MASSIVE days and the going home early honeymoon is well and truly over. On the biggest day I was SO lucky to have Peter organise dinner for us all. It was a real 'treat' to go home and just help finish preparing it and then sit down to enjoy it with a well-earned glass of wine. I used to have a little private whinge about preparing dinner (even if it was having left-overs) and then having to make lunches etc but lately I've welcomed that time in the kitchen preparing my lunches and having a nice potter. It sure beats sitting chained to a computer screen all day LOL.

I've just recently started road testing a new back care program. This guy presented at an OHSW session for our department and I tell you, it was one of the BEST OHSW sessions I've ever been to because it was practical and totally relevant to everybody there (attendance was optional). I mean, isn't the MOST important thing, knowing how to care for our back health in an environment that is anything but conducive to healthy backs. Anyways I recently downloaded his free e-book and am doing 2 simple 'exercises' from it each night. I'll let you all know how I feel as I progress to longer durations of each exercise. So far, so good. I can certainly feel relief as I lie in the suggested positions.

My regular exercise continues to alternate between running and weights. I like this as its become a bit of a no-brainer. I used to hate waking up early and then debating with myself what exercise I'd do. I'm a creature of habit and routine and dont at all mind the predictable. I know when I have my bone spur surgery things will change as I recuperate and that might be a good time to change my routine. Which brings me to something I just have to share. I had breakfast with a dear friend yesterday and she told me about her work colleague who had surgery to remove a bone spur and he was off work for 2 MONTHS!!! Holy crap!! I couldnt help but google it and I don't think I'll be anywhere near that bad as normal recovery time is 3-7 days of foot elevated and minimal walking/pressure on the foot. The mind boggles though and I'll certainly have lots of questions for my surgeon when I see him at the end of this month.

Anyway my 'breakfast break' is almost over (I started work very early today) so its time to stop blogging and haul my arse back into work.

Cheers all

M

 





  

3 comments:

  1. Recovery from any sort of surgery isn't much fun and I hope your prognosis is movement sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're experiencing a real sense of achievement Magda, and that's always such a boost to the morale. I also hope you get back to action sooner than your friend's experience xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz my expectation is walking within a week and then light jogging not long after (1-2 weeks). My spur is not in a weight bearing spot so as long as the swelling goes down and the wound heals quickly there shouldnt be any problems.

    Thanks Sandra, I must admit, morale is pretty good right now.

    ReplyDelete