Monday, May 13, 2013

PRESSING THE RESET BUTTON

I got this heading from another blogger who'd had a bit of a setback with her weight loss and fitness goals and I thought it was a pretty clever way to flick the switch and move forward. After that I thought nothing more of it until yesterday as I neared the end of 4 days of being totally uncommitted to my goals and plan of action for achieving them. So here goes.

Let me preface all this by saying that over the last few months I have come forward in leaps and bounds in managing my binge eating. I've had several weeks and indeed months of not binging and every step forward made me feel that little bit stronger and more confident that I'd finally be rid of this behaviour in line with my goal to kick it by my 50th birthday.

So a silly negative interlude with the Metal Monster on Thursday undid a LOT of good work and I found old habits came back with a vengeance. Friday was similar and then I regrouped somewhat on Saturday. But Mothers Day was to be my downfall and by the end of the evening I realised I had eaten WAY too much and was feeling pretty yucky as a result. Add to this no exercise on Sunday and it was a bit of a double whammy that messed with my head as much as my physical effects.

At bedtime last night I vowed to press the reset button today and leap straight back into my usual good habits. I couldn't afford to wallow in self pity and allow the slide back to regaining the weight I've lost to just happen. I didn't want to lose the fitness I'd gained and psychologically I certainly didn't want to put myself back at square one. Today its about stepping up to the plate and getting through the first few tough days when you feel heavier than you want to be and your emotions can be a bit delicate. But I'm doing it.

I got up before 5am and nailed a 45 minute legs sessions bumping my max squat weight up by another kilo. Geez it was tough but I did it and felt great for it. I've scaled my food back today and am chugging water like there's no tomorrow. I know it will all be good. And as for the Metal Monster, well I made the fatal error of placing too much importance on it. Up to now I've been pretty relaxed about it but on Thursday I stepped on with big expectations and I was let down when in actual fact I should have celebrated and patted myself on the back for a whole range of other achievements. So the silly bugger aint gonna see me for a while as I shift my focus to good habits and positive mindset vs the number looking back at me. 

I know that challenges and setbacks are a normal part of life and I've just had my share to ground me, but the key now is to press the rest button and move ONWARDS.

Thanks for listening

M

   

2 comments:

  1. Onwards and upwards!

    Great work on the squat PB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magda, I'm pretty good at shrugging off scale jumps, but even I had a "moment" this morning where I was very tempted to just go back to bed and then spend the day eating cake and feeling sorry for myself... Luckily common sense got the better of me. I called to mind the fact that I'm fitter, stronger and wearing smaller pants, so phooey to the scale. Then I went to RPM instead and ate properly all day.

    We all have our moments; I think the more you work at it, the better you get at being pragmatic about "setbacks" like an unexpected weight gain. You may have let it temporarily get the better of you, but you've taken a lesson from it and are moving on pretty quickly, so pat yourself on the back for that too. :)

    ReplyDelete