Thursday, April 4, 2013

THE ROUND UP, THE CATCH UP AND LOOKING FORWARD

Today will be an exercise in speed posting as my time available for personal luxuries during the day has severely diminished. We are 1 staff member down for  3 months and there is some big, gutsy stuff that I'm working on and my busyness rating has gone through the roof. So here goes.

THE ROUND UP

March saw me go mostly vego in order to improve my regularity after a very dismal end to February in that regard. By blogging about it, I got LOTS of helpful hints and comments, some of which I adopted and some of which past experience has shown to have no benefit for me. I'm happy to say that I finished the month far better than I started and the things that helped were:

1. Starting the days with soaked prunes and downing the soaking liquid as well.
2. After training I'd add a tablespoon of psyllium husks to my protein shake.
3. My lunches were mainly veges, brown rice and a serve of legumes to boost my fibre intake.
4. I went back to eating pears (the king of high fibre fruits) and drinking my water consistently
5. I increased my activity from virtually sedentary to active on most days. I'm still noticing that a lack of running doesnt help with my cause though.

Whilst there was a good improvement, I must say that I've learnt what is maybe the real cause of my regularity problems. Ironically its IRREGULARITY. Irregularity in my overall meals and water intake. Whilst I eat fairly regularly during the week, come the weekend and skipped meals become the norm. Not for any other reason than my schedule is totally different, totally busy and meals get pushed out to all different times (sometimes dropping right off my schedule). At the same time, my water intake will suffer so I've got these 2 major factors working against me.

I'm no longer eating vego apart from some meals here and there and I'll monitor how I go with this in-between approach. It was an interesting experiment though.

THE CATCH UP

Wow things have been busy at work but Easter was amazing. I got back into walking including taking Mitchell on shorter walks with me so that his fitness improves in time for our OS holiday. He is such an inactive kid. He hates sport, whinges about walking anywhere and has no interest in being active. However he's been warned that lots of walking will be required on holidays so we are out 'training'. I laughed when he asked me if we were doing it (the walking) to burn fat. LOL there aint much fat to burn on his string bean body.

Eating got a little too relaxed before Easter due to farewell morning teas, hot cross buns put on by our social club and lunches out but overall I've coped really well and the change on the MM has been minor :-) The biggest and best change has been in my attitude / headset around the times that I really indulged. I can honestly say that I'm now at a point where I just go with the flow, accept that I made the decision to eat whatever it was, remind myself how much I enjoyed it and not go into a big emotional meltdown over it. There's no 'getting over it' or 'picking myself up and moving on' because as far as I'm concerned I never fell down or fell over or failed or ....insert whatever negative action you want. Life sure is better when you look at things this way and it removes the agony that goes with the redemption act.

LOOKING FORWARD

We have 12 weeks til our holiday and undoubtedly its going to be a stupidly busy lead up to it. There may not be much blogging or reading of others blogs or FBing in that time. My main focus will be to keep eating well, keep training, keep myself and my family healthy both physically and emotionally (not let the stress break me down) and slide up to our holiday looking and feeling amazingly awesome.

Wish me luck and please check back in if I manage to get here for an update.

xx m    

  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! Phew! Sounds like you have been busy. Yay, - 12 weeks! That will go quick! How exciting with the holiday looming, love how you are getting Mitchell out walking with the 'excuse' of training for all the walking on holiday! Maybe he will grow to like activity! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things have improved for you in more ways than one, Magda. It's a big step to stop seeing food splurges as "failure" or "falling off the wagon". I always say there's plenty of room on the wagon for a hot cross bun, an amazing dessert or whatever else you fancy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pip, he's been warned that any whinging will have him on the first flight back home and grandpa will pick him up from the airport LOL. Some tough love now may just mean a happier holiday for all later.

    Thanks Kek. It sure is. I couldn't work out why I was so relaxed and happy over Easter considering how I'd indulged in the lead up to it and then I realised that I wasn't automatically beating myself up, feeling like a failure and all of that negative BS. Its made a HUGE difference and given some real hope that I will let go of my binge eating once and for all.

    ReplyDelete