Monday, April 29, 2013

MY HAPPY PLACE

Just as I thought, time for blogging has been scarce lately. Work has been really busy and with school holidays thrown into the mix my hours have been all over the place. I am very pleased to say though, that I have just enjoyed a wonderful 4 day weekend with ANZAC Day and the following Friday off. 

After a week of being quite vigilant with my diet and not going crazy with Mitchell's birthday celebrations, the Metal Monster rewarded me with a dip into the mid 65s on ANZAC Day. I started my long weekend feeling quite invincible :-) We attended our first ever dawn service which I found to be quite moving. Its something I plan to keep doing over the coming years. Later that day I went for my first walk/jog since my foot op in mid Feb. It went ok and I did keep it to just 3 x 5 minute jogs although I knew I could easily have done more. Better to be safe and restrained than sorry. Ironically I passed my surgeon on one of my jog intervals LOL. The rest of the day was pretty lazy which was fantastic as it was quite cool and therefore stay inside and not do much weather.

On Friday I did an upper body weights session with a very sore neck. Luckily it was only half an hour but I didn't like the crunching I was hearing as I pressed a bar overhead. We then went out for a game of mini golf followed by a wonderful lunch out. I had more than my fair share of good fats THAT day (think Atlantic salmon and accompaniments served in more olive oil) but whereas previously that would have had me cringing at the oil, now I embrace it knowing how good it is for my skin and system overall. Plus I don't eat like that every day and its still WAY better than indulging in a deep fried takeaway or something. Salmon rules (in my book).

With my sore neck continuing into Saturday I did a tentative walk/jog but found my sneakers are too worn out and I was getting some lower leg pain. I kept it to 15 minutes again as that was manageable within an overall workout of about 45-50 minutes. The rest of the day was busy, busy with the usual chores and maybe some exciting things on the horizon, maybe not.

Sunday turned on another glorious weather day here and although I was going to train legs a day early, I just couldn't bring myself to hole myself up in my studio so I headed out for a 'short walk' which turned into 45 minutes of walking and jogging with the jogging increased to 20 minutes. I just felt too good to waste my time on a walk and my sneakers managed to do their job for one more day. It was a good day overall and legs got done this morning as per my usual routine.

I have SO many friends who hate exercise and never do any. They will just honestly admit that they have no interest, no desire to do any - its not even about excuses to blow it off. I just don't get it. Being inactive does not make me feel good. Moving out in the fresh air whether it be walking or jogging feels fantastic and I feel great when I finish it knowing I've done something positive for myself. I'm really happy that its now as much a part of my life as is brushing my teeth. Sure I have rest days and the occasional day where I don't exercise but ny norm is 'move at least 30 minutes / day on 6 days / week' and that folks, is my HAPPY PLACE.

M



 

 

2 comments:

  1. Great work on keeping up the sensible balance and effort with your training while your foot heals in full.

    I have to agree with exercise, - I definitely like you, feel better when I do it, - regardless of how I perform, - although improvements are always encouraging! Also, I don't understand the people who have no interest to exercise.

    Not long till your trip now, enjoy the countdown and stay focussed and don't do what I have of recent! You rock :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pip. All going good and here and hope things are the same for you. xx

    ReplyDelete