Monday, April 15, 2013

THE FIBRE SAGA CONTINUES

Interesting observations since I changed my diet by increasing fibre to improve regularity.

1. A serve of prunes on rising followed by a tablespoon of psyllium in my post workout shake = inability to eat much else for breakfast. Eggs made me feel sick so they were off the menu. I managed a slice of Burgen rye toast with natural peanut butter and with a coffee on the way to work, this combination kept me going until lunch time. No gnawing 10am hunger whatsoever.
 
2. I've started taking a probiotic and can honestly say, I feel no different. 
 
3. Pears = kings of high fibre fruit and including 1 in my daily diet easily gets my fibre intake around or over 30g.
 
BUT
 
with all this fibre going in, my gut is churning and sore and bloated - I could pull off the '6 months pregnant look' no worries - AND I'm no more regular than I was pre-op. SIGH.
 
Next experiment: slippery elm (apparently its like 'nature's broom'.)
 
Oh BTW I've had to ditch some of the above as life was just getting too uncomfortable.
 
M  

5 comments:

  1. Bugga! It doesn't sound like fun ... I hope the slippery elm helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is frustrating Michelle :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm eating mega-amounts of fruit & veg lately Magda, as a result of seriously cleaning up my nutrition, and I'm having the problem I usually have - gut pain, bloating, nasty gas (sorry for TMI) and mild/moderate constipation. This has always been my pattern when I up the veggies. I drop weight, I glow with good health, but my digestive system just rebels. The nightly pain and endless trips to the loo, which turn out to be false alarms drive me mad.

    I know that wheat causes me problems, so that's already gone. But I'm exploring two other avenues to good gut health:

    1. Fermented foods. I never got much joy from probiotic capsules or powder either, but I think that a daily dose of yoghurt and some other kind of fermented food might help. I'm making sauerkraut at the moment and am about to try some water kefir.

    2. Next step after that is investigating FODMAPs. I'm pretty sure that some veggies and/or fruits actually make my symptoms worse, so I need to find out which and get rid of them.

    By the way, I tried Golden Circle's Healthy Life probiotic juice a while back and just a small glass each day actually seemed to help. Might be worth a go. http://www.goldencirclehealthylife.com.au/

    Just a few thoughts of mine, Maybe something will help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Kerryn, my boys are highly amused by my gas problem too. In fact, every time my tummy churns (which is a lot) Mitchell thinks I've farted and wont be convinced otherwise. Anyways Ive cut back on my fibre to avoid some of the problems but am trying another tactic (apple cider vinegar). Your comment about fermented foods is interesting and there seems to be a fair bit of press about their goodness lately. Ironically, being of Hungarian background we ate sauerkraut a lot when I was a kid so I quite like it. And lets not forget kim chi which is pretty good too. All food for thought. Thanks. M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, apple cider vinegar is pretty popular, I should add that to my list. Vinegar is fermented, so it looks like we're on the same track.

    Of course, you could also get back in touch with your roots and throw some sauerkraut on your plate! :) Mine's ready now, and I quite like the crunchy texture and sour taste. I'm going to start adding a spoonful to my daily lunch or dinner salad. I'll let you know how it goes.

    I wish it wasn't such a slow process to identify the problem(s). :/

    ReplyDelete