Friday, April 19, 2013

THE GLASS HALF FULL

What a shocker of a week. My working-from-home day on Wednesday turned into a go-into-the- office-and-deal-with-an-urgent-problem day. I had Mitchell with me and sitting in my office for 3 hours while I worked (admittedly playing on his DS) just about drove him crazy after which he just about drove me crazy. AAAAAAARGH!!

Anyways I was back at work on Thursday and the problem re-presented itself in a different light so there was yet another stressful day of trying to achieve the impossible in 5 minutes. I had several instances of closing my eyes, breathing deeply to calm my mind and then getting on with the actions around sorting out the problem. I paid extra attention to being nice to people and getting involved in pleasant conversations whenever I could just to balance out my inner turmoil.

Days like those have, in the past, guaranteed that I would resort to comforting myself with as much junk food as I could physically manage to get in. You know the old theory "5 minutes of it tasting good is 5 minutes of my pain being eased so I'll take it." Stupid logic, I know but hey, it was my coping mechanism. Well I'm so pleased to say that despite everything, I never resorted to those old actions and in fact I wasn't even tempted to. WOOHOO!!!

My trusty Metal Monster may not be heading downwards as I so hoped he would but hey, at least I'm mastering the art of maintenance and that, my friends, is definitely a glass half full job.

:-) M

3 comments:

  1. What a week! Also well done on not resorting to eating food you regret in stressful situations, - this sounds like your norm now! Great job :-) I am so glad it's Friday arvo this week I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on changing your habits. :)

    P.S. I see Blogger still does a crappy job of picking up spam comments. You might want to disallow anonymous comments, Magda. I don't allow them and I rarely get spammers...



    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pip, it didnt even end well after all that effort. I went home totally crushed and spent all weekend worrying about the outcome of the events in the last hour. But deep down I felt good about how I handled it all.

    Thanks Kek and yes I'm getting LOTS of spam comments and have considered not allowing anonymous comments but a few friends still comment that way. Aren't they annoying!!

    ReplyDelete